I’ve operated for over 20 years as “Friendly computer people” and have many happy clients who find themselves with problems with home computers either newly purchased, inherited or bought some years ago. I can clean out junk software, malware and viruses all using tools that don’t have to cost you a fortune but with a reputation that you can trust.
Problems I’ve helped customers with over the years include:
- A laptop that was receiving eMails and then the grandchildren used it…
- Desktop PC that was quite happily working on the internet then stopped connecting…
- New laptop that won’t connect to your home broadband
- You clicked on a popup box and now your screen is always full of adverts
- Someone pressed “Delete” and now all your pictures have vanished
- Bought a new printer but it wont actually talk to your computer
I’ve been working with personal computers since the early 1980’s when the very first BBC Computers and Sinclair Spectrums arrived in Schools in the UK, I trained as a computer programmer and have managed networks and minicomputer clusters for small businesses so I’ve seen a fair bit. I also used to build & sell IBM PC Compatible systems to the construction industry and I’ve been on the receiving end of some of the poorest customer service in computer stores that you can imagine so I decided that I would do things differently.
I come to your home or place of business so you don’t have to unplug all those cables, you don’t have to carry that tower system to a shop and wait in a queue feeling self-conscious whilst everyone else is holding an iPad or tablet. It’s the computer that’s served you well for checking eMails, Skyping and shopping on Amazon and it doesn’t need to do anything special so why wait for someone to try and sell you something new?
I don’t sell laptops or tower systems, the only hardware that I’ll sell you is if you need a replacement part but a lot of the time, I’ll tell you what you need so you can go and buy it a price you’re happy with.
What else do I do?
- Configure new printers to work with your computer
- Setup new computers to work with your existing printer (this applies to most modern printers)
- Setup home networking so you can play music throughout the house
- Basic hand holding training – everyone assumes that you can use your new computer – I don’t
- Want to buy or sell on eBay and not sure where to start? I can help
- Not sure if your computer can be upgraded? I’ll tell you honestly
- You want to use anti-virus software but you’re not sure what to do? I can help with that
Did you also know that if you’re computer is more than about 3 years old and it’s been stood on the floor under a computer table that it might be on it’s way to looking like this on the inside?
If the dust gets really bad then your computer will overheat more quickly causing it to slow down or simply stop working after only a short time. I can come to your home or office and using your vacuum cleaner, clean the insides and get it working reliably again.
Can I make a website for you?
The answer is yes – I can…
I’ve been using WordPress over the last 4 years or so to create my own site & community sites for a couple of online groups because I believe it to be one of the best CMS systems for small websites and easy to configure. I can also arrange hosting for you and domain names and advise on the best domain name for your site. It can be all set up so that once your site is running, you can add content as you need to – there’s no need to pay me extra to add simple things like customer testimonials or change a phone number.
My charges are simple and easy to understand:
- Travel to anywhere within the Coventry CV1 to CV7 post code area – FREE (travel outside this area charged per half hour at 50% of my hourly rate)
- First 30 minutes with a new customer diagnosing your computer and possibly fixing the problem – FREE
- Second half hour & more spent with your computer @ £25 per hour (no VAT!) – charged to the nearest half hour e.g. 90 minutes spent removing your malware would mean you pay £37.50.
I won’t take your computer away unless I have to but most of the time it’s not needed – it can be done in your home or office so you don’t need to unplug any wires.
I’m happy to give advice if you’re considering updating your hardware or if you just need some basic hand-holding/confidence building with your brand new computer (yes – some people are still buying their first computer or tablet) or even talk about how you can network all your computers together to share media or printers.
I’m not Apple Mac savvy sadly, so I can’t support you with MacBook or iPad issues.
I don’t hold MSCE Certificates so I can’t help with Microsoft SBS systems, SQL Server or collaboration framework systems but I work with a friend who does hold those certificates and is very good with them.
If it’s a couple of PC’s in an office that aren’t doing anything clever then I might still be able to help, please give me a call and ask – I’m happy to have a quick chat over the phone or come have a look for you.